Monday, March 8, 2021

Word to the Wise

 This is a real story.

Saturday afternoon I got a call on my cell phone from an unknown number. Against my better judgement, I answered. This was in the afternoon and that number left a message in the morning already. Very insistent.

Well, he introduced himself as XYZ from the Publishers Clearing House. In short, he told me that after playing their game for years my name was drawn as a winner. My winning was $3.5 million, a Mercedes Benz and $10,000 a week for a year. He said they, the Price Patrol, were in the neighborhood and were to come over later on.

He said I should have all my personal identifications (licence, passport) ready. Then he threw in something that made me think. He said I should get a Vanilla Gift Card for $500 because they would need that.

At this point I stopped taking him seriously. What kind of a sweepstake want a $500 gift card up front? Anyway he told me that as soon as I get that gift card give him a call and they would be coming over.

After this I called PCH and inquired and I was told that they never call in advance, they just show up.

So now I am sitting at home and waiting for my Mercedes and $3.5 million check.

I might be old but not completely stupid. I wander how many people fall for these scams.

No comments:

Post a Comment