Wednesday, March 17, 2021

In Memory

I always loved to go to St. Maarten. Last time I was there in 2019 August. I took my new family to introduce them to the joys of the Caribbean, St, Maarten, the Divi (our resort) and last but not least to my longtime friends.

We had a great time even though I was not in perfect physical condition. I walked with a cane and fell a few times. But still, we were there. This was my first visit since 2013 and I was saddened by the events that took place since then. Some friends passed away, some were not well. But this is life. And I was still happy to see my longtime friends, My wife and daughter made very quick connections with these people, connections that are still going strong.

There was this lady, a beautiful person, a longtime St. Maartener whom I got to know from my first visit to the island. I met her every year and always had a great time together. Interestingly, she was very white skinned, sun sensitive yet, she loved the sun and the water. Spent hours in the water floating around with her foam noodle, with her t-shirt on, hat and sunglasses and talking to everybody whoever came into the water.

It was always a pleasure talking to her. When I saw her last, in 2019 she was already not well but kept it under controll. Didn't spend as much time in the water as usual. Sat in the shades and relaxed. But it was still nice to see her.

Never realized that this was to be the last time we met. Late last week we were notified that she passed away. I feel very sad about it because she was one of the few friends I was always looking forward to see there. The place will not be the same without her.

Rest in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment