Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Moustache

Many, many years ago, about 50 years ago, probably pressed by the current style of facial hair, I decided to grow a moustache. Growing a moustache entailed in not shaving the proper areas on my face. The result was that a constant shadow started to show, and I had no problem with that.

In those days I worked in Manhattan and almost every day I went to lunch to a place where we sat at the counter that was built in an S shape. So, there is this lovely and cheerful black lady server who because of my frequent visits kind of knew me already. On that one particular day, when my shadow was more visible she took one look at me and excalaimed "oh, you are growing a moustache".

This is what I really needed. Everybody in the restaurant turned and looked at me. The problem was that she exclaimed quite loud and from afar. I was ready to hide under the counter. Back then I was a little shy and I didn't like this kind of attention. Now, I would really not care.

Anyway, my moustach was born and it grew without any controversy. Almost! In the early 70s we went to Budapest for a visit. Up to that point my Mother did not know that I had this extra hair under my nose. The minute she saw it she said something like this "oh, you grew a moustach, looks good but you will shave it off, right?" At which time my wife chimed in saying "no, he won't because I like it". That was the only controversy my Mom and my wife ever had, And, my wife won, the moustache stayed.

At this time I decided to graduate my moustache to a fu man chu type. Jews usually don't have fu man chu mustaches. They have pajesz and beard.  So, I am growing it. My wifew is not too thrilled but right now there is no controversy about it. Maybe one night while I sleep she will trim it.

No comments:

Post a Comment