Sunday, April 4, 2021

Show offs

There is a volunteer Jewish ambulance service in Queens and I am sure in many other places, too. It is called Hatzolah. I think that is a hebrew word meaning rescue or relief.

They are very good. They monitor 911 and many times respond faster than the city's ambulance service. This is manned by orthodox men and as I heard there are many doctors among them. When there is a call these people come from every direction in their personal cars plus the ambulance. Their cars are equipped whith flasing lights and very loud sirens.

Since I am colorblind I can not tell the difference between an unmarked police car's lights and theirs'.

Interesting fact: because they provide this volunteer service (rely on donations) they work on saturdays and all Jewish holidays.

I heard from other sources that these people are first rate becaose most of them are doctors. Oh, they respond to all calls not just jewish related.

Now, why am I writing this ode to Hatzolah? The other day my wife and I were driving in our neighborhood when I saw these people front of an apartment house with lights flashing. Fine, no issue, sorry for the people who nedded them.

But one of the volunteer doctor's car was a Maserati. This bugged me a lot. I know that the majority of doctors make more than an average bloke. They have every right to live accordingly, and support their families the best way they can. But please, don't flaunt it!

A Maserati runs between $75,000 and over $100,000. I don't know how reliable it is but I am sure there are several just as reliable cars and less flashy are around.

I used to have a doctor friend who had his practice in his house. Drove a very simple car, not even a Cadillac. When asked why not somthing better? His response was thathis patients would be frightened off if they saw an expensive car in his driveway. This what I expect from a decent doctor!

One time I saw a doctor with MD licence plate driving a Ferrari sport car on a parkway. I thought that kind of boasting is ridiculous. Get a boat, get a horse, get a plane,. These things can be kept private. Cars can not because they are on public roads. 

For any doctor to show off such a way I find distasteful.  


I    






Doctor and his Maserati

No comments:

Post a Comment