Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Saturday/Sunday

i fondly remember the good old days when I worked five days a week from 8 in the morning 'til 5 or later. Those were the good old days.

Now that I am retired, have no job, can sleep late and then relax the rest of the day is nothing more than a myth. It ain't happening. At east not in my life.

I mentioned it earlier that my wife's son is moving to a new apartment. Well, that is now in past tense. The move took place yesterday and today.

He found a beautiful apartment right next to a huge park in Queens and now being the end of the month the move took place already.

What was my role in it, you ask? Well, I tell.

On both days I rented a 15' long U-Haul truck that I was forced to drive. I also hired to guys to help us with the move. I picked the guys up drove the truck and the men to Brooklyn and stood by the truck while it was loaded with furniture.

Oh, the sun was shining and it was about 90 degrees.

When loaded, I drove the truck to Queens and stood by it again while it was unloaded. Since the truck wasn't large enough there was stuff left behind and today became a carbon copy of the previous day.

Anybody who thinks that standing by a truck all day is easy is totally mistaken. By the end of yesterday I was dead tired. So am I today too.

Driving a truck for the uninitiated can be nerve racking. I am a very relaxed driver but driving this "behemoth" was killing me. Fortunately I didn't need to be in any side street with double parked cars because I am sure I would have taken off their mirrors.

Thankfully the work is over and I hope no family member is planning to move in the near or far future.

Just be clear about something, becoming a truck driver is not on my long range plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment