Saturday, March 2, 2024

Abigail Continuing

On February 15 I wrote about that Abigail was notified by Columbia University that her application for their masters program was accepted, and she may start her studies in the next fall. Naturally she was overwhelmed about this news not counting the fact that one has to take out a second mortgage to cover the costs. Understandably, I was a little reserved with my overjoyment.

This week she received a letter from New York University, her second choice that she was accepted there also. I understandably was totally overjoyed by this news because what that letter also said.

Full scholarship plus all costs, fees and expenses and $18,000 a year stipend. Now, isn't this something to be overjoyed about?

While Columbia is a one year very congested and full program, including Summer, NYU is a two year program with a little more breathing room. Now, her mom and I are trying to get her to accept the NYU offer even though she thinks Columbia is much more superior.

I keep saying to her that it is not always the schools that make a person. It is the person that has to show the want and the energy, the willingness to learn and what to do with that knowledge. Just running around and screaming that I am a Columbia graduate, I'm a Columbia graduate will not make people falling on their faces and will not make companies stand in line to join them and pay humongous amounts of money. 

But anyway, today Abigail and her mom went off to Columbia because they have an open house for prospective master's students to listen what it is they have to offer.

Like a good Jew that I am, I asked Abigail if it is possible to haggle with these universities. I asked if she could ask Columbia if they might be able to match the NYU offer? She said it is usually not done. too bad. Anyway, NYU is just as respectable as Columbia.

Interesting side note. I was reading the NYU PHD program. Did you know that it is totally free and in addition they pay an annual $40,000 stipend? No wonder there are so many PHDs around. It is a great thing not to do anything but just study and getting paid for it. It is almost like welfare!

Good country, America! 


No comments:

Post a Comment