Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Impossible

My cronies and I, all in the same age category are living in a very restricted world. This world is full of "not possible" categories. If we look around there are not too many things we are allowed or say permitted to do.

Let's look at a few examples:

It is not possible to make babies any more. Even though some Hollywood characters claim they became fathers at a very late stage of their lives. I don't believe them. They probably had a very good and virile friend who did the favor.                                                                                                                                We can not take out a 30-year mortgage any longer. As a matter of fact, I don't think we can take out any mortgage at all.                                                                                                                                              We can not get life insurance at all. 80 or 85 years is the upper limit (I think) and we are easily passed that. According to the insurance companies we are on borrowed time! Nice, right?                                  I  just saw today that we can not rent a car any longer. Their age limit ends at 75 in this country. So, if I want to go somewhere alone, all I can get is a bicycle (if I steal one).                                                          I have a feeling that health clubs will not let us sign up as new members because they don't want us to drop dead on their property. 

This world is a wide open space except for us old-timers. No matter where one looks there are restrictions or exclusions. I wander if that is for the reason that they want to protect us or protect themselves against possible liability. I think it is the latter one.     

So, what is that left for us to do? Sit home on the sofa, watch tv and wait for the boogey man to come for our soul or stand up and say, "hell with all this, I want to live my life the way I want to"?                  I am choosing the second one. I am not ready to give in, yet. 

Even though I gave this article the title Impossible, actually nothing is impossible!








         

     

No comments:

Post a Comment