Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Medications

I never denied that my main current "occupation" is watching tv. It is comfortable, it does not use up any energy and last but not least it is not educational. Since I learned all there is to learn in life I am not open to any new education. They can talk, they can force any issues, but I will always stick to my gum.

Any given day on any given channel there are a myriad of drug advertisement. They pop up, they impress upon the innocent tv watcher that they are the answers to their so far untreatable ailments. Ok, maybe so. Now the patient is supposed to go to the doctor and request that particular medication, right? Or the doctor is now expected to change the medication because of what the tv ad said? I really don't think this is what happening.

Then what is the point for these advertisements? The other interesting thing that crops up each time is the small print at the bottom of the screens. There is always a lot of writing and always made sure that it could not be read. I'm sure these are legal notes, protecting the advertiser but wouldn't it be nice to be able to know it?

The other thing is and if one reads fast enough can see it is that at most of these medications it is noted what kind of harm or disturbing side effect it has. The list includes suicidal tendencies, depression and many other not very pleasant symptoms. So, while it might cure a specific ailment it might create a list of other problems. This is the part that I noticed and got upset about.

The problem is that doctors do not always know about the side effect and medication interactions. If one questions it their answer always is, ask the pharmacist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment