Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Social etiquett

I have a lady friend who is a hairdresser. She has the habit to offer to fix, adjust, do her guests' hair just as a nice gesture. I find this very friendly and warm act of hospitality. I see nothing wrong in using a friend or guest's profession for help or advice when people are in their company. It should be done tactfully without overdoing it.

If I would have a plumber friend and he is in my house as a guest, I would have no qualms asking him about let's say a leaky faucet. Or an electrician friend about maybe an overheating wire. Naturally there are limits to these things. I couldn't ask a bricklayer to lay brick when he is over for a drink, or an executioner to execute me as a favor, right?

But these things are done, and most people do not mind giving limited professional advice or help to friends. If I had a friend who is a tax expert, you can bet that I would grill him on what can and what can not be done as far as taxes.

However, there is a profession who is not giving all it could and those are the doctors. I think it would be nice if and when a doctor invites friends to his or her home would give a physical exam to the guests as a goodwill gesture as long as it is not a colonoscopy. People would appreciate this, and it would also make this doctor very popular amongst his friends. Just think about this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment