Friday, March 1, 2024

Older

This old(er) age is beginning to be a pain in the butt. Actually, not just in the butt but everywhere else. Anybody saying that these are the golden years is shamelessly lying. When one is younger, quite younger some ailments, discomforts creep up slowly. So slow that we don't even know about them until they are here. And then, being as I said younger, we hope that our stronger bodies can deal with these.

Now, this is a different story. We can go to sleep feeling good but next morning when we wake up there are pains, new symptoms and a myriad of yet experienced discomforts. Some of this I experienced myself. I had no issues with my waist. Then from one day to the next it started to hurt so bad that I had real problems bending down. I was thinking about everything that could have caused it but then I just let it go. Three days later it is gone. I don't know what it was, probably just came to annoy me.

I noticed on myself that my walks are not as steady as they used to be. I am starting to walk like an old man which I really am trying not to be, even though I am. I walk with a cane, and I am very conscious of where I put my feet since I do not want to fall. For a long time I really did not have any permanent need for it but lately I rely on its support more and more.

Now I have a moral question that I touched on before. Being at an advanced age, should we run to the doctor at every sign of discomfort, pain or ailment or if it is tolerable should we just let nature take care of it?

Would doctors be trustworthy enough to tell us the real truth or what we would like to hear? Would they prescribe necessary and possible long term and costly treatments for the ailment? Or are there some secret insurance company guidelines about wasting money on older people's medical expenses? 

I'm just curious!

No comments:

Post a Comment