Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Monday

This is a repeat remembrance that I do every year on this day.

Today is Holloween. Now that by itself has absolutely no meaning of any importance to me, except that it is a special day for me.

Fifty nine years ago today I arrived at Idlewild International Airport in New York. I knew I was in New York and that was in America but that was about all of it. Didn't know much about the US but still chose to come here. And retrospect I am not sorry I came.

I and nobody on the bus on the way to our hotel had any idea about what today was. When our bus stopped at red lights we all saw these kids dressed in various forms of costumes. We just looked at each other questioningly saying is this the way American kids dress? Didn't seem very normal.

It took a while to understand the significance of Holloween. Actually it has no significance at all.

Kids dress in costumes and there is a gay parade in Manhattan. Abigail is all exited about this day because she is going out with her friends trick or treating after school. But when I asked her what Holloween is all about she had no clue. All she and her friends can think about is costumes and candy.

Nice to be a kid in these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment