Sunday, February 7, 2021

Takeouts

 There is nothing wrong with a good homecooked meal. I love it and I am willing to eat it as long as it is available. Thank God my wife is a great cook. I think, she loves to cook and what is more important she cooks Hungarian.

Hungarian food is important to me. There are two things in life I want to be able to do; speak Hungarian and eat Hungarian food. Restaurant Hungarian food is good but it doesn't come near to a good homecooked meal.

As everybody is aware of  I came from Hungary and I don't want to lose my basic identity.My wife and I speak Hungarian to each other while Abigail and I communicate mostly in English. Since I no longer work I don't have too much opportunity to use English. I am desperately trying not to lose my vocabulary but then with old age creeping up it is not easy peeing against the wind!

This, obviously has nothing to do with homecooked meals.

Back to my original thought. Even though I love homecooked food I still yearn an occasional restaurant meal. May that be a good steak, shrimp, oysters, clams, escargot etc. These are some of my favorites.

But because of this virus thing we haven't been to a restaurant for almost a year now. Yes, we did do take outs but they are just not the same. Eating out of a cardboard or plastic container is not my idea of eating "out". 

By the time you get home the food gets cold, it is needed to be reheated and then it looses its charm. Yes, it can be delivered hot but I will be damned if I pay some Uber delivery person $20 extra for bringing out the food.

I love IHOP pancakes and the about six different syrups. Now, how in the heck can I eat that at home? If I order takeout, by the time I get the stuff it will taste like rubber. Homemade pancakes are not bad but I don't think anybody keep five or six different syrups at home.

Here is the flip side of my thinking. In New York there is no inside seating in restaurants only takeout. How do I know how healthy the kitchen staff is? Just because they say they are?

No comments:

Post a Comment