Sunday, February 28, 2021

Nostalgia

When I was a young lad, living in Hungary I never liked gypsy music. It was not cool to listen to it. Even though the regime tried to force feed it to us we still didn't like it. In those days the radio was filled with gypsy music but just like whiskey I never developed a liking to it.

As it turned out this dislike was temporary. After I came to the US I gradually started to like it. Here in this country it was very hard to come up with good gypsy music. While in Hungary every other beer garden had its own gypsy orchestra. 

Every time I visited Hungary I made sure I went to a restaurant that had a gypsy group playing music. Thanks to the Internet I can always find some site where such music is being played.

I think this is nostalgia. The older one gets the more he is apt to think of the old days. Just recently a friend of mine sent me a recording of a well known gypsy musician/singer. I listened to it and I admit I was moved. Their songs are mostly sad love songs and clearly understandable. Not like the songs sang here which sound more like barkings than singings.

Gypsies in Hungary are a minority who live in self imposed squalor. People are avoiding them and are afraid of them. In the old days, like before the war they moved around in the country side and usually stole whatever they wanted.

To break out of this kind of lifestyle was not easy but some did it. Primarily musicians. They were very talented, good and enjoyed popularity. Their music was special, very catchy and provided easy listening.

Unfortunately, the rest of them do not contribute much to society, and today the government is having a difficult time dealing with them.


https://www..com/watch?v=ihQLwU1jUUM



No comments:

Post a Comment