Thursday, March 2, 2023

Life changing events

Foe a man being married more than once is one or more life changing experience. For a man it is a metamorphosis. Years ago, there was an Off-Broadway musical with the title I love you, you are perfect, now change. This title expresses exactly what multiple marriages are all about.

A man lives a nice and comfortable life. He is used to his things, he has his daily routines, does things his way, eats his favorite foods and so on and so on. Then for some reason he has to marry again and maybe again... His new spouse has one goal in life. To change him. To show that everything he had done prior her entering the picture was wrong. It was unhealthy and not right.

He has to get used to new daily regiments, new attitudes, new foods, new music and so on and so on. And we, guys are putty in their hands. We do what is demanded of us because we love them and want to keep the peace. If you think that it is forbidden to criticize in North Korea is bad, try criticism in a married household. Punishments are severe and swift, and memories are long. 

At every new marriage certain previously used to things disappear from one's life. Like I like classical music. There is none in my house. My wife loves country western music. I like fast food. My wife abhors fast food. I love to eat out she doesn't like it. I love the beach scene, she is sensitive to the sun and prefers the mountains. I like blood and gore movies she loves Hallmark movies.

I never lived in dirt. We used to do major housecleaning once a week. My wife, God bless her clean heart does daily once a year major cleaning. Now that is obsession. I can actually understand this because we have Abigail who is a little slob and then there is Robin. So, I got used to this also. 

These are not major things and not difficult to adjust to, but they are there. Every man that faces multiple marriages goes through similar events and every man eventually adjust to these.

I used to know a Jewish man who was not particularly religious. He married a Jewish woman out of love who turned out to be very observant. Later when I saw him, I noticed he was wearing a yarmulka. When I inquired why, he told me that his wife was very religious and he turned that way, too. Now, that must have been a life changing event. We didn't get that far in my house, yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment