Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Obit

I just found out on Monday that a very good, old friend of mine passed away on Saturday. It really shook me up. We used to be very close, but life placed us in different areas and as the result didn't see each other for years.

He was two years older than I and as I understand not in a prime health condition. He lived in British Columbia with his family and as I was told he died at home surrounded with the family.

I knew him since 1951, we went to the same school and were classmates. The 1956 events in Hungary necessitated leaving. He eventually settled in Montreal, Canada but went back to Europe, to Switzerland to work. After some years the good Swiss decided not to renew his work permit and at that time he went back to Canada where he stayed until the end. 

He started from nothing but created a good business and built a nice family, settling in British Columbia.

While he stayed in Europe, he frequently visited Hungary. At each time he made a point to visit my mother for which I loved him dearly.

It is funny. We all have old friends, and we all take them for granted. Never thinking about they leaving before we do. But unfortunately, it happens. And when it does that is when we realize that life has its own rules.

I will miss you G.

No comments:

Post a Comment