Sunday, June 26, 2016

Saturday

I always said if one lives long enough he sees too many changes in life. Some are good some are bad some are just plain disturbing.

On Thursday England voted to exit the European Union. I remember when the EU came into the forefront of news because its popularity and because countries waited in line to join.

Now I think I see the beginning of its end. I think if one big country leaves others will follow and leave the small and poor countries behind to fend for themselves.

Basically something like this shouldn't bother me but right now the market is in the dumps and nobody knows what the next week will bring.

Another interesting point is the number of Europeans mainly East Europeans who went to England to work and because of the EU they were free to do it. Now their future is totally insecure. Or rather it is now secure in the fact that I am sure England will make them all leave within a certain time.

I do know a few people who left Hungary and went to England to find a better future. I really feel sorry for them. 59 years ago I also went to a strange country to look for a better future and I was lucky enough to find it.

The Hungarian government was and probably still is upset because of the talent continuously leaving the country. Now they probably hope that some of them might return but I really doubt that they will.

Myself being a Hungarian my sympathies lie only with the Hungarian ex-pats. Other nationalities should look for sympathy elsewhere.

Something else.

Tonight we had a fantastic dinner. My wife made a cauliflower casserole (Hungarian style: rakott karfiol), wine, cake and fresh fruit. That was the menu. Pretty good for an ordinary Saturday nigh, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment